After the previous owner cleared out, here’s what I was left with. Time to get to work…
The urine yellow foam mattress looked less than desirable so I cut it into manageable pieces with a razor blade and threw it away. After that I started looking at the ugly gray felt and realized it was only attached to the hull by industrial staples. Naturally I pulled them out…
… to reveal black paint. No problem, I figured I could sand it off or paint over it – either option would be better than that hideous felt. Next I looked at the wood the mattress had been sitting on. It was in fine shape but plywood is pretty cheap and I want a fresh, clean place to sleep so I decided that should go too.
If you look closely at the picture you can see the “bed” is split down the middle into two pieces of wood. The left side was only secured by two screws and came up easily. The right side was secured by 350,789 enormous screws that conveniently were old enough to strip quite easily (meaning they were impossible to unscrew). I yelled, screamed, pummeled small children for a few hours, and finally summoned up enough strength to rip the piece of wood through the screws with brute force and a screwdriver.
Note to self: DO NOT SCREW DOWN THESE PIECES AFTER REPLACING
With the bed demon conquered, I tried my hand at sanding off the black paint. My goal was to take all the paint off, get down to the original wood and stain it to match the rest of the boat.
As you can see that didn’t work out so well. The paint was thicker than a linebacker’s neck and wasn’t going anywhere any time soon. No problem, I sanded it the best I could, gave it a good wipe down and vacuum and now it’s ready to paint.
While I was working on the bed I was also splitting time with the desk and partition between the state room (downstairs, forward bedding area) and galley (upstairs, rear kitchen area). Regrettably I don’t have a picture of what the partition looked like before but these should give you some idea
What these pictures don’t show is a dilapidated air conditioning unit and a car stereo deck with a cassette player – yes, a cassette player – that were poorly mounted into the middle of the partition.
So I got to thinking. (1) I’ve had a desk in my bedroom for as long as I can remember and have never used it. (2) I don’t want to keep the AC unit or the stereo and they’re taking up a lot of room that could be put to a much better use… maybe like supporting a 48″ plasma HD TV :). With that in mind the only reasonable solution then was to (yes, all together now) RIP – IT – OUT!
Now it’s all set to be rewired (cue the electrician), painted, and put back together. Uhhh about that….